The Incomplete Cynic

cartoonpolitics:

“You are 9 times more likely to be killed by a police officer than by a terrorist” .. (from this article)

cartoonpolitics:

“You are 9 times more likely to be killed by a police officer than by a terrorist” .. (from this article)

(via wilwheaton)

"He’d created a lot of franchise value, and we were going to pay him for that," Conard said, adding: "We had a very complicated set of negotiations that took us about two years for us to unwind. During that time a management committee ran the firm, and we could hardly get Mitt to come back to negotiate the terms of his departure because he was working so hard on the Olympics."

Conard’s comments are the latest in a growing pile of evidence that contradicts Romney’s repeated claims that he ended his active role at Bain in 1999. On Sunday, The Huffington Post reported on a corporate document filed in December 2002 that lists Romney as a “managing member” of Bain Capital Investors. Earlier reports show Romney listed as CEO on 2002 Securites and Exchange Commission filings, attending board meetings for Bain-affiliated companies after 1999, and receiving an at least $100,000 salary from Bain in 2001 and 2002.

Yeah, that sounds like he definitely continued his “active role”. Active CEOs always let management committees run their companies while they’re off at other jobs. The fact that he was on the books and attended some board meetings definitely proves that he was running the show all along.

(Source: The Huffington Post)

“For those of us idealistic enough to believe in such a thing as society and that society can progress, public institutions that form our government are required.”

Gary Hart: Is Progress Possible?

I totally get it now! Government is required for progress! Quick question though…if government is required for progress, how’d we progress to the point where a government was possible, without a government to help us along?

“It’s piracy’s fault. Don’t pirate. Don’t give Katherine Heigl a Lamborghini.”
Movies Are Getting Shittier Because You Keep Stealing Them
“Here’s a curious fact about the French economy: The country has 2.4 times as many companies with 49 employees as with 50. What difference does one employee make? Plenty, according to the French labor code. Once a company has at least 50 employees inside France, management must create three worker councils, introduce profit sharing, and submit restructuring plans to the councils if the company decides to fire workers for economic reasons.”

Why France Has So Many 49-Employee Companies - Businessweek (via jeffmiller)

My favorite part:

Worker groups say the code itself isn’t the issue. “If the code is complicated, it’s because our society is complicated,” says Bernard Vivier, director of the Higher Institute of Labor in Paris, which studies labor relations for unions and companies. “Cars are much more complicated today than they were 40 years ago. Why shouldn’t the labor code be?”

(via jeffmiller)

antigovernmentextremist:

satans-advocate:

not one single mother fucker stood up to help her.

not one. 

More power to her.

BAD ASS

+5

(Source: love-eat-write)

wellroaredlion:

Fact: College graduates of all majors earn more money throughout their lifetimes than those who do not possess a degree.

Fact: There is a correlation between education and happiness.

Question: Does graduating college make you smarter and better prepared to enter and succeed in the workforce, or are smart and prepared people more likely to graduate college, and therefore more likely to succeed?

It’s probably way more likely that because the people entering college are generally smarter and more capable than the general population - and those who graduate smarter and more capable still - that what you see is selection bias. Is it really a useful comparison? Not really. In one group you have 90% of the country’s smartest and most able people. In the other is the remaining 10%, plus everyone who wasn’t smart enough or a good enough student to get into (or get through) college, and most 1st generation immigrants. You seriously think we should compare the incomes of these two groups and attribute the difference only to a college degree?

(via wellroaredlion-deactivated20120)

“Again, if a male writer had written book after book arguing that women were evil creatures whose sole purpose in life is to sexually manipulate and destroy men, would we spend a lot of time quibbling over whether he actually used the phrase, “All women are whores”?”
The Dworkin Whitewash - Hit & Run : Reason Magazine